Monday, December 7, 2009

We live dappled lives

My darlings, if you could ever find it in your hearts to forgive this wayfaring wench for her long hiatus from the interwebs, she would be most appreciative!

(got the title from my philosophy professor- he just came up with it last class, roughly half an hour ago :)).

Nihon, ah you crazy, idiosyncratic, thoroughly incomprehensible yet intensely enjoyable place.
I have been doing quite a few "balances del anio" this past week. I cannot believe that I have 11 days left here. The last month truly snuck up on me. If you can picture a month pouncing, simply insert me into that image in your mind's eye. :D

I feel so blessed and really elated that I chose to come to this place and happened to fall into the company of so many truly wonderful people. Some famous dude once said that its the people you meet in your life that you remember, not the places you meet them... or something like zat. True story.
But, enough of this melancholy hogwash- on to the funzies!!!
Since I last chatted with all you lovely people (read: wrote at you), I have been to Kobe to see several billion art installations, approximately. It was cold and rainy in Kobe but it is a tres jolie place- the guidebooks liken it to places in Europe. We had some dericious food in Chinatown, because clearly, that's what I came to Japan to do, and discovered the Hello Kitty of China: GOOD EVENING PANDA! Panda most assuredly trumps Kitty-chan (sorry, Aki, please don't write me up! <3).
Panda-flavored hand sanitizer, for all your... oh.

My good friend Amanda spearheaded the voyage to Kobe, including the lodging in a cozy hostel called Kobe Dears Backpacker House. If you're in the area and need a place for la noche, or a few weeks, check them out: http://www.kobe-dears.com/english/index.php
(mention my name and you stay for free NOT!)

And now for my dear Charlie. This is where I grovel. Charlie, I am a flake and a truly awful person. I don't bring housewarming gifts for your ryoushin and say I'm coming to tea ceremonies and then don't show up. I know, I know, よるされへん、or however you say it, but you knoww that I loves you, and am still waiting for Fly Honeys to confirm my friend request.


To my dear Okaasan of the United States of 'Murica (that's you, Mama): the above outstanding gentleman is the reason that I was able to see a tea ceremony in Japan. He may dominate in the speaking of the Japanese, but am vastly more talented than he when it comes to folding tea napkins. NOT to be taken lightly. Really.
HARD to FOLD! I sat and had a lady watch me fold the napkin for what must have been 45 minutes, and I still didn't have it down. Veryfrustrating, at first. Gives a whole new meaning to "throw in the towel". More like "weep on the tea cloth."
Our big end-of-semester project in Spoken Japanese manifested itself in a skit dedicated to the one, the only, Godzilla-san. Shimotani, our fearless teacher, was so tickled I nearly offered her our sock puppet, except that it was my sock... and it is a very nice sock, a Costco synthetic wool blend...
The point is, Godzilla, we love you man, so this one's for you. Cheers.
Claire Kovarik, my one, my only, my こいびと, I am nothing without you. Thank you for putting your hand on my head and cooking me thanksgiving dinner and letting me sit with crazy people while waiting for the bus in the absolute middle of nowhere because I am directionally CHALLENGED! I do rove you, desperately.
In Kobe, on a tour of le harbor and several art installations IN THE BAY!!! GASP!
Wonderful people from left to right: Timmy, Joanna, Claire, yours truly.
Lots of love and good energy for all you readers and thanks for all the comments- they make me feel loved and inspire me to keep posting!!!

3 comments:

  1. CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU IN 3 DAYS. \(^_^)/ THIS IS HOW YOU MAKE ME FEEL

    ReplyDelete
  2. *\(^o^)/* still my favorite... this one has pom poms

    ReplyDelete
  3. @_@ this was me when you were gone
    [^x^] this is mersian, abby thomsens cat
    ~_~ this is me when im asleep
    \(^o^)/ THIS IS ME CAUSE YOURE COMING HOME!

    ReplyDelete