Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Watashi no denwa bangoo wa



Hahaha, you actually though I was going to tell you my phone number, DIDN'T YOU?!

It's taken a little while, but contain yourselves America, and other countries reading this, because there are SHASHINNNN!!! (pictures). :) I'm sitting here with my friend Haruka and we are going to show you Nihon in a few sweet pics! Enjoy only!

Quick post: yesterday we went to Kyoto- first experience with Japanese trains (Wheeee!) and navigating the system of densha (trains). Kyoto has incredibly beautiful temples and I really didn't know what to expect when we got there but I loved it!

I'll be back, never fear. The food continues to be excellent: my current favorite are the rice balls: onigiri- oishii (delicious)!!!!!

So there’s this chocolate here that is ridiculously tasty. It’s practically a drug. As chance would have it, this particular brand is called Crunky. I do not tell lies. Photographic evidence.


I can only describe it as a Crunch bar with an identity crisis and hope that you can understand. If you say wakarimasen (I don't understand), I will sadly sigh and make a note to bring some home so you can all experience this culinary joy. Speaking of home, hi Mama and Dad! Thanks for the great letter and all of the emails. Its good to know you care.

Holy Monkeys. I went to a sento last night, which is a Japanese spa. Spas are very different from the states in that they cost $5 to get in and are like neighborhood hangouts for the people in the area. Sentos are phenomenal. You go to the locker room- guys and girls are separated- strip down to the buff, then go scrub down for all you’re worth at this row of sit-down showers. You’re required to shampoo as well because of the risk of transfer of germs/ bacteria/dirt. If you don’t, the ladies WILL get up and complain and you WILL be a culturally insensitive poop head. You rinse off all the soap and shampoo and then embrace the wonder of the sento. There are three tubs filled with various degrees of hot water, a cold tub and… one with an electrical current! This is not a joke. The ladies who come to these spas come and hunker down in the electric tub for minutes on end. The frightened gaijin (us), on the other hand, squeal upon dipping a finger into this water. The Japanese women there were smiling and laughing at our yelps of surprise and motioning encouragingly. Side note: People here are SO helpful, in my experience, will always go out of their way to help you. It takes getting used to, but it is a crazy experience and apparently very good for relaxing your muscles. I feel a little sore today, but just as if I’d lifted yesterday. The cold tub is probably my favorite. My friend Joanna and I held our breath and dunked ourselves completely, then liked it so much that we stayed for about ten minutes. Very relaxing. We were hypothesizing that the water is mentholated, because your breath comes so easily and feels remarkably fresh. It’s awesome.



Joanna and me awaiting our debut on the Nihon no densha! I have two fingers... she has three fingers... we haven't quite got the peace signs down. Give us a week, onegai shimasu (please).

MISF- out!
Love to all at home and in the world.

3 comments:

  1. Hey! Wow - what a great post - we non-train riding westerners LOVE to hear what is up in the far East. Can everyone see this post? I don't want to embarrass you, if that is the case.

    I love your great pics, all the news, seeing your friends and hearing your voice come through in your blog. The Seanstah approves, too.

    I love YOU,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wana get Crunky! looks so delish and way better than the choco in Guatemala. miss ya sis smooches, brosef...juanito

    ReplyDelete